Sunday, June 23, 2013

Coffee Talk


Over 100 people got up from their cozy beds on a Saturday morning and started the new day with a delicious hot cup of coffee and enjoyed some tantalizingly new artwork at the Chuck Jones Center in Costa Mesa July 6, 2013 from 9:30 to 11:30 AM. The staff served 3 new piping hot pieces that I hope didn't curb anyone's caffeine craving and as my butterfingers framers say, were good to the last drop. 

I shared some funny anecdotes about my 40 years of daily grind in the wacky world of animation from animated commercial breaks for the local television station WKRG Channel 5  in the early 1970s to working on some very beloved full length animated features and television series for all of the major studios from Disney to Warner Brothers (even a brief stint working with Chuck on a Bugs Bunny film) and a few stops in between. In other words in coffee-speak II was "spilling the beans" coffee beans that is!

A nice big group showed up for the talk

For these illustrations, I wanted a kind of whimsical retro throw back using a limited color scheme that one might see in the great WPA posters of the 1930s and 1940s. By the way, Coyote and Road Runner was actually painted with a little coffee mixed into the gouache and Taz had a spot of tea infused with gouache.  The group really enjoyed the pieces and I found myself signing prints immediately after the talk was done.

The Coffee was MUCH easier to paint with than the tea which took many and I mean MANY layers to even show up. The nice folks who purchased these prints really got a kick out of it and I enjoyed the opportunity to paint with such a unique type of "watercolor". Afterwards I did some embellishment by way of small paintings at the bottom done in what else? Pure Coffee for the Coyote and Road Runner, and likewise-  Tea for Taz (... and Taz for Tea... you and me... sorry I'm musically inclined). The extra embellishments were a hit and the collectors let me know it which certainly made my day.


It was a mighty delicious morning to spend with so many friends old and new, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Now it's time to head on back to the old desk and get back to drawing.







Well maybe just one last cup...  oh waitress?

No comments:

Post a Comment